Services we provide

Spouse Work Permit

A Spouse Work Permit (SWP) allows a spouse of an immigrant to work or study in Canada. The validity of this permit is equivalent to the length of the immigrant's study or work permit.

This is an 'open permit', which implies that the spouse of an immigrant can work in any province or territory. In some cases, the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) allows Canadian employers to hire the spouse of an immigrant for a specific job.

The Canadian citizen/permanent residence (sponsor) and the spouse (sponsored) must get an approval from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to obtain permits. Spouses of immigrants on a valid study or work permit are eligible to apply for an SWP. The documents required to file the application include:

  • Spouse Work Permit form
  • Copy of the student's study permit or worker's work permit
  • Copy of the spouse‚Äôs visa history
  • Letter of enrollment
  • Copy of the marriage certificate or common-law declaration
  • Proof of funds
  • Passport copy of spouse and the partner

All these documents can be submitted online or by mail. Post submission and attainment of the Spouse Work Permit, a spouse can apply for the Medical Services Plan (MSP) and Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada.

APT immigration consultants will assist in all the necessary paperwork and legal formalities to apply for a Spouse Work Permit. It is advisable to discuss your eligibility to attain a Spouse Work Permit in person to understand the procedure clearly.